Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Love Manifesto

Come in... have a seat. I hope you are doing well and ready to chat about a few things that have been on my mind since we last spoke. Typically, we explore your innermost thoughts, but I have something to share with you and I think it just may be what you need to hear. You can call it a challenge, if you like. Connect with me, and I can assure you that you will leave more fulfilled than you came. Tall words? I give my word to you... now lets talk.

There are certain occasions in our lives where we have to make a declaration or profession of faith in something. I don't simply mean the conventional profession of faith, as in religion. However, we do it on such occasions where a true commitment is needed...not simply with words or actions, but wtih a firm commitment of both. There is a portion of the Declaration of Independece that I absolutely love. In the final line of the document, it states... "with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."

In this pledge, a collection of individuals came together to make a decree that in spite of all obstacles that may come there way, they were going to remain faithful to the cause. Be it tribulation or threat of death, they stood firm on the premiseof what they believed. They believed that strongly in it!

Have you ever committed to soemthing or someone with so much passion and aggression that you were willing to pledge your life? I don't mean a hollow recital of words that a minister led you into saying. I'm talking about carrying a type of faith in something that if it fails, life isn't worth living anyway- so it leaves you with no alternatives. Something so sacred, so honorable, so crucial that it's simply not possible for someone else to understand how you feel about it. Perhaps its time to make a pledge of your own...

Maybe you need to take the vow that you won't give up on love. You need to wed the notion that no matter how many of your friends say "love is a myth" or "true love is lost, never to be found," you will hold to the pledge that love is a possibility. Not only is it a possibility, its a certainty. In this pledge, you have to be willing to make the necessary sacrifices. The sacrifices that will allow you to reign what has been shrouded in the cynicism that has caused you to doubt love veracity. If you have lost your relationship with love, please understand that it doesn't have the capacity to give up on you... you must have given up on it. Well, it is my pleasure to reintroduce you...

Relax your mind... breathe deeply... Repeat after me...

With everything that is within me, I am convinced that there exists something greater than me. It compels the flowers to bloom in spring... it cools the earth after rain. It's the upward slant of a pleasant smile. It's what redefines a tear, making it a manifestation of joy. It's the indescribable phenomena that allows laughter to be nature's most precious organic remedy... It's sometimes sweeter than I can stomach and often too bitter to maintain. The tighter I squeeze it, the more of it I lose. And, like the horizon, obtaining it seems to be just another foolish thought. Yet in still, I vow to continue seeking after it... with fervor... with respect... with humility. Even if the sun sets without it ever shining on me, I understand and respect the pursuit. Even more than that, I have the faith that it has been with me all along...quietly serving as my companion. In the moments when I'm alone, wondering and praying when it will come, it has been with me from the beginning. We are conjoined and forever inseparable. I pledge to savor and cherish the moments I have with it and value the journey while pursuing it. The times that I am with it, I will honor it as though it may never return... because it very well may not. I will not envy its relationship with others because what we have is something that has been reserved only for me. I will not take it for granted in my relationships, because once its gone, I am powerless to bring it back. I will trust and let it lead me to the places where it dwells in others. I will love without reservation and let myself to be loved with reckless abandonment. More than anything, I will love unbashedly, with an assured optimism that love has already pledged itself to me. Let these words forever be inscribed in my heart. This is my love manifesto.

Let it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment